Save the Date – Thursday May 24th for our Reading Rally at Colfax Elementary, located at 1526 Tennyson St, Denver, CO 80204
We filled 325 backpacks, which had been donated by Anything Data, at our April meeting with all kinds of “goodies” which were donated by our member firms and individuals, including Land Title, and will be enjoyed by the students of the school. The students won’t receive the backpacks until the end of our visit that day which will include having POPSICLE, the Polar Bear mascot from the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, an assembly, readings in the individual classrooms performed by our EWI representatives and a chance to visit with the author of Solar the Polar, Kim Constantinesco.
If you can participate that morning, we will be meeting at the school, no later than 8:30 AM. Please let Melody know by contacting her at email@example.com.
Committee members are:
Melody Ambrose, Chair
As part of our December philanthropy project, we supported Living Well Showers which delivers dignity to the homeless population of west metro Denver through the means of a mobile shower trailer. They partner with city, county, and other organizations. This is an outreach of Bethlehem Lutheran Church located in Lakewood, CO.
The “Living Well Showers” are a series of four fully functioning shower bays built into a mobile trailer that can be parked around the greater Denver area and hooked up to local water sources. The trailer includes three standard bays and one disability compliant bay with wheel-chair access. Each bay includes operational sinks and mirrors and will be supplied with other resources needed for guests to brush their teeth, get a fresh pair of socks and undergarments, and temporarily store their belongings in a secure environment.
Here is a sample of EWI Denver’s Philanthropic contributions in previous years.
- Our annual ASIST Scholarship is for Adult Students In Scholastic Transition
- We collected toys & gifts to donate to the Federation for the Blind for the Holidays
- We collected and donated over a 100 braille books to the Anchor Center for Blind Children
- We collected school supplies throughout the year to donate to Westview Elementary School in the Fall as school got underway. See the pic below.
- Once again we had a very successful Reading Rally at Westview Elementary School in Northglenn on May 17, 2017. Nearly 500 students received their own copy of a book by local author Jeffrey Bennett in a drawstring back pack.
Book: The Max Science Adventure series books break down the boundary that has traditionally separated large format picture books from books that focus on science education. The beautifully illustrated stories appeal to all ages as Max (the dog) and his friends use their space adventures to bring a message of inspiration and hope to the human race.
Assembly: Author Jeffrey Bennett gave a complimentary presentation to the entire school providing them with great information about how he is inspired to write.
To read about 2016’s event, CLICK HERE